Friday, January 1, 2016

Happy New Year! Looking Back and Forward

English: Bust of the god Janus, Vatican museum, .

English: Bust of the god Janus, Vatican museum, . (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

It is the time of the year here at Construction Law Musings where we look back at a great 2015 and forward to an even better 2016.

This past year was another good one for both Musings and my law practice.  Musings hit its 7 year anniversary and added a few more Guest Post Friday friends and posters.  I was honored with a 9th straight year of election by my peers to the Virginia Business Magazine Legal Elite in the Construction Law category.  I grew my mediation practice and was able to assist several others in resolving their disputes short of costly litigation.  I also hit the 5 year mark since I opened my solo construction law practice in 2010.  In short, there were many highlights for me and my practice in 2015.  Thanks to all of you that helped make it a great year.

Now, on to 2016.  In 2016, subcontractors and suppliers will be dealing with a new landscape where they cannot waive their mechanic’s lien rights by contract prior to performing work.  What the courts will do with the language of the new statute has yet to be determined (for instance, what does “impair” a right to payment mean?), but this is a step toward a more level playing field.  Hopefully the economic growth that we’re all hearing about will extend to the construction industry here in Virginia and help to ease some of the financial pressures of the past several years.  Of course, I would be remiss if I didn’t remind my clients and friends to get their contracts in proper order and to prepare ahead of time to avoid problems in the future.

On the personal front, I resolve to assist clients in dealing with the day to day risks inherent in the world of commercial construction.  I further resolve to grow my mediation practice even further because I firmly believe that negotiation, not litigation, is the best way to deal with construction disputes.  To that end, I sincerely hope that this message will allow me,acting in my capacity as a mediator, to assist those with a legal dispute to resolve those issues.

Finally, and most importantly, thanks to friends, clients, colleagues, and especially my wonderful family, for making 2015 a great year and for giving me the sense that 2016 will be even better.

Happy New Year and I’ll see you in 2016.

Please join the conversation with a comment below.  Also, I encourage you to subscribe to keep up with the latest Construction Law Musings.

© Construction Law Musings- Richmond, VA is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 license.

Send to Kindle

No comments:

Post a Comment